Are you unemployed, or looking for a change of career? Whether you are currently looking for a new job or wanting to take steps towards doing so in the future, there are many resources available that can help you on your way:
Looking for a new career but not sure which way to go? Why not check out
The National Careers Service website:
- Skills Assessment: This page offers a number of assessments you can take to help to identify what careers might be suitable for you: these include a simple 5- 10 minute overview, or a series of more detailed quizzes helping you to think identify your own skills, interests and motivations and match them against potential careers.
- Explore Careers: Here you can find detailed descriptions of a huge range of jobs, covering what the role involves, what skills you will need, training required, possible career paths the job might open up and average salaries, and links to current opportunities.
This is an online tool that offers similar services to those available on the National Careers Service ie:
- A career assessment tool to help you identify careers that most suit you
- A browse careers tool, to help you explore in detail what potential careers involve.
However Career Coach also gives you information about how many people are currently working in each career in the Northumberland region, and current vacancies in the North East.
Applying for Jobs
Need some pointers on how to find and apply for a job? The following pages from the National Careers Service cover most of the basics
- How to find job vacancies Find out where to look for vacancies from recruitment agencies to social media sites.
- Find a job by networking Discover jobs through people you know.
- How to write a CV advice on what to include and how to make it stand out.
- How to write a cover letter cover letters, why they're important and how to use them.
- How to fill in an application form both paper and online application forms.
- Interview advice different types of interviews and how to do well in them.
- How to answer common interview questions how to answer interview questions confidently and make a good impression.
If you prefer a more interactive approach why not try one of these free online courses
- Learn My Way has courses on Job hunting online, using the National Careers Service website and preparing for interviews
- Lloyds Bank Academy has courses on improving your CV and Preparing for Interviews
- Make It Click has courses on IT skills that will enable you to look for work using free google software: eg creating a cv, email applications to an employer, prepare a presentation for an interview, using linked-in to help you find a job.
Don't know where to start looking for work? Good starting places include:
- specialist websites advertising current vacancies and recruitment agencies - we have created this handy list of some of the most useful sites
- local social media sites